This is a tale of an area roofing company’s salesmen who broke almost each individual rule there is to crack, and sad to say for them, they knocked on the mistaken door to do it.
I’m disgusted with the antics of S.W.A.T. Roofing and Contracting of Haslet. Nonetheless, I gave proprietor Andrew Dumas more than a 7 days to chat to me about what I witnessed. At his request, I sent him surveillance photos from my house protection digital camera displaying his two salesmen on my entrance steps. But Dumas would in no way discuss to me about it.
He has a few difficulties though. The two roofing associations he belongs to — area and condition — assure to look into him for ethics violations.
Why is this crucial? Mainly because it is hail year in Texas, and some neighborhoods are going to be hit really hard. Roofers, quite a few from out of city, will swarm like buzzards, going up and down your block, making an attempt to get business enterprise in the only Gulf Coast state with no a roofers’ license or even a essential certification procedure.
This shows you how they can work to deceive. What did these two salesmen for S.W.A.T. Roofing do wrong?
1) No solicitors. They disregarded the “No Solicitors” sign on my front doorway and rang the bell. That by yourself was sufficient to get my dogs barking which woke up my spouse Karen from a well-deserved nap. You mess with my wife’s nap, dudes, you mess with me.
2) Acted like law enforcement. These men wore jackets with S.W.A.T. printed in major letters throughout the back again — equivalent to police officers. When I didn’t response the doorway, one of the adult men pounded on it the way police would just before a raid. Later on, I checked my dwelling security camera and took blurry pics of them hanging close to on my entrance methods.
Note that in the police earth, S.W.A.T. stands for Particular Weapons And Ways. But in Dumas’ roofing planet, his S.W.A.T. stands for Extreme Weather conditions Evaluation Crew. Cute.
3) Violated city soliciting legislation. I checked with my local police office, and there was no document of them obtaining a solicitor’s permit. Specifications include things like a copy of a driver’s license, two colour shots, $65 for a track record check out and $20 for a permit cost. Solicitors are not permitted to knock or ring the doorbell at locations with a “No Solicitors” discover. A lot of towns have comparable ordinances.
4) Untrue promises of a license and certification. Neither exists in the point out of Texas. So if a roofing firm tells you they are state accredited and accredited, which is a lie. In this circumstance, S.W.A.T., on its website, repeatedly claims to have both equally. “We are a licensed and certified company,” he writes. Effectively, not a condition license, that’s for confident. I counted the phrase “licensed and certified” about a dozen instances on his web-site.
Even right after these faults ended up pointed out to Dumas by me and other people, as of Thursday, he continue to hadn’t corrected the wording on his site.
A person motive this is troubling is mainly because I’ve always considered just one clever way to shop for a roofer is to hire another person who is a member of two reputable associations. One particular is the North Texas Roofing Contractors Affiliation, and the other is Roofing Contractors Association of Texas, which delivers its version of a non-public license for individuals who go by means of their process. RCAT has 760 users and about fifty percent have the non-public license.
I normally figured that if a roofer put in the time and money to belong to a single or both equally of these businesses, that shows they are nearby, and are willing to commit in membership as a commitment to bring trustworthiness to a troubled industry.
But Dumas proves me mistaken due to the fact he is a member of both of those companies. If he experienced an RCAT license, I’d cut him some slack. But RCAT government director Sarah Ramon informed me that whilst Dumas is a member, he’s never gained RCAT’s license.
“We hope our members to abide by a code of ethics,” she claimed. S.W.A.T. will be reviewed by an ethics committee, she promised.
“There can be a lot of unscrupulous people,” she explained. The goal of her nonprofit is to “make them far better contractors.”
I also alerted the North Texas roofers group, which has 400 customers.
Government director Karen Vermaire Fox advised me the S.W.A.T. circumstance, for the reason that the enterprise is a member, would be reviewed by their ethics committee. The objective is to teach their members, appropriate them and clearly show them the proper way to do matters.
She added, “You need to know what the legislation is. You must know that you are not allowed to say you are licensed or registered.”
I checked with two condition businesses which, in a ordinary state authorities, would be regulating roofers like Dumas.
Ben Gonzalez of the Texas Division of Insurance coverage said, “We do not regulate roofers.”
“Texas does not control roofers,” Tela Mange of the Texas Office of Licensing and Regulation instructed me. “You did the ideal factor to get in touch with nearby law enforcement to examine irrespective of whether they experienced a solicitor’s allow. You must also share with the police any concerns you may well have about the corporation seeming to impersonate regulation enforcement officers.”
Remaining observe: The explanation I launched my Watchdog Country shopper legal rights movement yrs back stemmed from what I discovered using the services of Texas roofers. There are strategies to check out potential roofers and contractors. Be sure to contemplate chopping out the accompanying sidebar of suggestions and saving them for, er, a rainy working day.
IN THE KNOW / Browsing for a roofer
– Look at on the net to see if prospective clients are associates of the North Texas Roofing Contractors Association and Roofing Contractors Affiliation of Texas. Do they have a personal RCAT license?
– Place up a No Solicitor’s indicator on your entrance doorway. Study if your city involves a solicitor’s allow?
– Does your city have to have permits for new roofs and other building, far too? Metropolitan areas differ.
– Check with to see their certificate of coverage. A highly regarded contractor will not hesitate to present you. Connect with and obtain out if the coverage is even now in effect and if it handles roofing get the job done.
– If they promise to waive the deductible, they are breaking the law. NTRCA has released a web site devoted to this – DontFraudMyTexas.com.
– Do they claim to have a license, registration or certification from the condition? If so, trousers on fireplace.
– Does the firm have a long-lasting area handle? Is their car license plate from a different point out? Drive by and examine their small business deal with. Check with to see the owner’s driver’s license. Make a copy.
– Get references from previous consumers. Do not slide for a salesperson’s allure or far too-excellent-to-be-accurate promises. Find multiple bids.
Come to be a citizen of Watchdog Country.
Join Dave Lieber and understand to be a super-shopper.
Watchdog e-newsletter: Sign up for The Watchdog’s Cost-free weekly e-newsletter to maintain up: simply click below.
View this cost-free schooling video from Dave: https://youtu.be/uhUEUCNKGjc
Subscribe: Please assistance The Watchdog’s brand of easy journalism intended to help you save you time, dollars and aggravation. Deal with on your own to a electronic subscription (and make him glance great!) by applying the particular Watchdog code: https://www.dallasnews.com/subscribe/watchdog-1
Watchdog Dwelling Website page: You can’t afford to pay for to miss The Watchdog’s two experiences each individual week. Comply with our newest reporting often at The Watchdog dwelling page which options all recent columns.
Fb: Hook up with The Watchdog on our Facebook team. Search for “Dallas News Watchdog Posse.”
The Dallas Early morning News Watchdog column is the 2019 winner of the top prize for column producing from the National Modern society of Newspaper Columnists. The contest judge termed his profitable entries “models of suspenseful storytelling and community provider.”
Read his profitable columns:
* Serving to the widow of Officer J.D. Tippit, the Dallas police officer killed by Lee Harvey Oswald, get buried beside her late spouse
* Helping a waitress who was harmed by an unscrupulous applied vehicle dealer